Central Asia news
18.12.2017 11:08 msk
On 11 December, the man, who introduced himself as the hokim (head of the administration) of the Shaykhantohur district, met with the tenants of three houses on Tashkent street on the site where the authorities plan to construct the pompous "Tashkent City" business complex. The official, in the company of other municipal staff, has announced that the residents are categorically obliged to vacate the housing in a ten-day period since the buildings around are already being demolished. On the questions of people, what should they do now and where to go, the answer, in its essence was: "We are not interested, go wherever you want." These words sounded if the tenants do not leave within ten days, they would be forcibly evicted by a court decision involving law enforcement. Given the sad experience of past years, there is no doubt about this perspective.
06.12.2017 01:19 msk
Two wild cases, but unfortunately characteristic for Turkmenistan, occurred in a short period in different parts of the republic. Women, one of whom is 76 years old, and the other is slightly less than 68 years old, were viciously attacked. On the night of 28 to 29 October in Dashoguz, somebody threw stones in the windows of Khalida Izbastinova's flat shattering them. Two weeks later, on 14 November, in Ashgabat, Soltan Achilova was attacked in broad daylight. The "fault" of the first woman is that she is the mother of a Turkmen opposition and human rights activist, and the second is the correspondent of the "Azatlyk" Radio ("Freedom") banned in Turkmenistan.
23.11.2017 03:17 msk
Exactly ten years ago, the financial world first in Kazakhstan, and then in Italy, actively discussed a somewhat unusual transaction for those times. Strange, however, more likely for Kazakhstan - for the first time a big western company with a worldwide reputation acquired a private commercial bank in Kazakhstan. The Kazakh press optimistically referred this transaction to "Deal No. 1 for the entire banking sector of a young country," expressed confidence that it is "an indicator of the maturity of the Kazakh banking system and its attractiveness to the world market," and also promised a comfortable future to other local second-tier banks. After all, the precedent is created, and it is quite possible that, if desired, another buyer, as generous as the Italians, would appear. It seemed like an idyllic picture: create a bank and then sell it at a higher price to Western partners...
- With rockets for Erdogan Turkey risks losing allies
- Uzbek actress Nargis Abdullaeva recalls her journey to Moscow
- Who is helping IS strengthen its position in northern Afghanistan?
- Former minister’s spouse urges Turkmenistan govt. to reveal his whereabouts
- Russia’s migrant phobia primarily a political, ideological phenomenon: Sergei Abashin
- Does Turkmenistan possess military might to counter influx of militants?
- NYC Halloween terror attack suspect’s relatives express shock, disbelief
- Well-known blogger, teacher, economist, and activist arrested in Tashkent
- What do we know about alleged NYC Halloween terrorist Sayfullo Saipov
- Flamenco in Central Asia!
- Ten years ago our colleague Alisher Saipov fell victim to murder. Museum telling his story opens in Osh today
- How farmers pay for grudge between presidents of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan
- Half of Everything or Facta, Non Verba
- Uzbekistan: New conference with old zindan at background
- The administrative resource is not enough. The Central Election Commission of Kyrgyzstan told about «the most democratic elections»
- Pre-election Kyrgyzstan: Double game of President Atambayev?
- Another political prisoner in Uzbekistan released
- Opium for the President: Religion and Kyrgyzstan’s forthcoming elections
- «To people like you I can say that I’m Uzbek»
- Secret arrest again. Still no respect for human rights in Uzbekistan
- Cotton Slavery in Uzbekistan: The Last Victims?
- Rotten method: Kyrgyzstan actively discusses the ethnicity of the presidential candidate?
- Turkmenistan healthcare in coma
- Russian oligarch powered flight of the second president of Uzbekistan to the West
- Human rights defender about forced deportation of Uzbeks
- Uzbekistan Football Federation Ltd
- Criminals and Officials in Kyrgyzstan: Who is Covering Whom?
- Four years for journalist who opposes Islam in Kyrgyzstan
- Muhammad Salih: «I will return to Uzbekistan only as a completely free man!»
- Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan preferred to resolve border issue secretly
- Elena Serebryanik–Bell: «I found My Tashkent Sun in the state of New Mexico»
- Islam Karimov: A great ruler or enemy of the people?
- Kazakhstan trials the Orthodox priest
- Presidential elections in Kyrgyzstan: intensive developments
- Is Uzbekistan opening? Tashkent will host OSCE Central Asia media conference
- Kansas City Shuffle of Central Asia. Editorial by Ernest Zhanaev
- Apotheosis of Kyrgyz justice
- Dictator’s relatives. Nephew of late Islam Karimov granted refugee status in Ukraine escaping extradition to Uzbekistan
- Human Rights Defenders: World Bank should press Uzbekistan for abandoning cotton slavery
- Uzbekistan: mahalla waiting for President!
- Bluff or ‘ram fighting’ from Arkadag? Anti-corruption fight gaining momentum in Turkmenistan
- Education in Uzbek language has no prospects in Kyrgyzstan
- Uzbekistan: Unprecedented public outcry at murder of 18-years-old student
- What Changes May Come? Editorial by Ernest Zhanaev
- ‘Our authorities never mistake?’ Practice of protection of persons accused of extremism
- Kyrgyzstan major TV channel: Block Fergana and journalist Ulugbek Babakulov is enemy of people
- Russia, Central Asia, migrants. Where and how extremism threatens?
- Anticorruption campaign in Tajikistan or show?
- Uzbek opposition leader Bakhodir Choriev: Change without political reforms is useless
- Who owns media in Kazakhstan?
- Uzbekistan: Activists pay tribute to Andijan massacre victims in Tashkent
- Tajikistan: Time to privatise hills and meadows?
- Uzbekistan: How visit by UN High Commissioner benefits?
- About imprisoned human rights activists and unsound optimism in Uzbekistan
- Deteriorating situation in northern Afghanistan: told by local and commented by expert
- Uzbekistan: Saiga disappears and authorities have no interests in this tragedy
- Human Rights in Uzbekistan: Commissioner, remember 2005 Andijan Massacre!
- Arkadag show in Turkmenistan
- WWII heroes: Tajikistan hindered by ‘Immortal Regiment’ - Dushanbe residents speak
- Kazakhstan: Experts about initiatives of Mukhtar Ablyazov
- Suspected in terrorism – emerging portraits from Central Asia
- Sisyphus, Aesop and Oedipus ... Which Islam Karimov will stand in Tashkent centre?
- Uzbek-born American Entrepreneurs Gulam and Sardor Umarov Expanding Use of Latest Technologies
- Wealth that was acquired: what potential presidents of Kyrgyzstan possess and conceal
- Muhiddin Kabiri on Interpol, IRPT ban, General Nazarzoda and exiled opposition’s future
- Uzbekistan: Neighbours of «terrorist of Stockholm» say suspect far from extremism
- Latinising the alphabet in Kazakhstan: «Please avoid the trap Uzbekistan fell into»
- Seven moments from the life of Almazbek Atambayev
- Don't be interested, don't assemble, don’t disseminate. Ten excuses for penalty in Kazakhstan
- Uzbekistan: Free Urlayeva from punitive psychiatry!
- Between a rock and a hard place in Tajikistan: husbands demand wives wear head covers, gov’t demands removing
- Uzbekistan: Whistleblower Businessman Ends Up Behind Bars
- Uzbekistan: Mahalla—why does the president and society need it?
- Human trafficking and IS followers in Central Asia
- Verdict in Kyrgyzstan: Highest level of hypocrisy
- Kyrgyz court leaves life imprisonment verdict in Askarov case in force
- Tajik-Afghan borders in photos: What lies on the other side of Panj River?
- High and Dry: Central Asia’s Failure to Avert the Impending Water Crisis
- Uzbek, Chinese archaeologists jointly excavate ancient capital of Fergana
- “Gratuitous utilisation”: How China is actively bringing the Tajik parts of Pamir under its influence
- Turkmenistan: Repressing Gulen supporters to cajole Erdogan?
- Poet to new Uzbek president: Let’s experiment!
- Apricot pits or Why was Yekaterina Sajneva deported from Uzbekistan
- Radio Liberty: “We hope Tajik authorities understand their mistake and reinstate our journalists’ accreditation”
- Uzbekistan: Stop punitive psychiatry on Jamshid Karimov!
- Uzbekistan and Turkey: A handshake over the grave
- NATO Liaison Office in Tashkent to close, but alliance to continue cooperation in region
- Living in someone else’s life. The story of a transgender woman from Tajikistan (18+)
- Any attack on representative of authority is equated to terrorist act in Kazakhstan. But why?
- Public politics gradually emerging in Uzbekistan. What’s next—freedom of speech?
- Impunity endangers our right to know
- Uzbekistan: Everyone, yes, everyone is picking cotton. But two women taking photos
- Punitive psychiatry gaining momentum in Kazakhstan
- Tajikistan’s imitation civil society
- Central Asian Survey: Uzbekistan Forum and Virtual Special Issue
- Who was Uzbekistan's Islam Karimov?
- Uzbekistan: testing your cheating speed, or “Hares”, “Runners” and ten thousand dollars
- Preschool Education in Kyrgyzstan
- Andrew Finkel, The Guardian: Turkey was already undergoing a slow-motion coup – by Erdoğan, not the army
- Registan.Net: Kazakhstan at odds with homegrown terrorism
- «Hizb ut-Tahrir» and Donald Trump: mutual contempt
- Kazakhstan: Land Protesters Face Police Rampage
- Lost childhood in the «Caliphate»
- Washington and Sanjar Umarov want to shed light on Uzbek Kleptocracy money
- UN Human Rights Committee urges Kyrgyzstan to release Azimjan Askarov, quash guilty verdict
- Uzbek expert criticizes World Bank over monitoring of forced labour
- Kyrgyz education ministry wants to close a special kindergarten for special children
- Uzbek rights advocate in need of rights advocate
- Taalatbek Masadykov: “Radical religious views can quite realistically fracture Afghanistan”
- Political prisoner released in Uzbekistan after 21 years, Sec Kerry visit
- Uzbek rights advocates able to meet political prisoner
- Reflections on Islam Karimov’s image
- Fire destroys Uzbek rights advocate’s house, computers; items missing (+photo, video)
- “He is weeping quietly in the desert…” The first collection of modern Turkmen literature released
- Uzbekistan: Cotton slaves picked sells well, as usual…
- Vote or die: Who benefits from blasts in Turkey
- Uzbek currency drops to 5k per dollar on “black market”
- Kyrgyz court hands five-year sentence to imam prominent in south
- Kyrgyzstan breaking free from dependence on the Uzbek gas, unless hindered
- Uzbekistan: Hey, World Bank, attention here!
- Uzbekistan: A tale of Kazakhs slaughtering a horse (images 18+)
- Uzbekistan: “We are slaves, indeed!” A photojournalist’s cotton-picking stint (+photos, video)
- “Russia’s southward turn”: Who benefits?
- The Uzbek-German Forum: “Silk Noose on Uzbek Farmers’ Neck”
- Who benefits from the armed mutiny in Tajikistan? Analyses, opinions, comments
- Uzbekistan: Events in Nukus or Celebrations behind Fences (+photo)
- Uzbekistan: Museum director’s removal unwarranted and sinister!
- Russian expert on Arab affairs: Authoritarian regimes are main recruiters for IS
- The Chorsu Bazaar: A taste of Uzbekistan (+ photos)
- USA: Federal Jury Convicts Kurbanov on Terrorism Charges
- Uzbek officials: “Our prisons are most progressive, mass media are most democratic; no torture, because it is prohibited!”
- Uzbek State Museum removes «Soviet Era» department
- Muhiddin Kabiri: Closing IRPT will not bring about better life in Tajikistan
- Uzbek border guards kill Kazakh, wound Tajik nationals, fire at Kyrgyz colleagues
- Former political prisoner delivers report on human rights in Uzbekistan before US Congress
- Kyrgyzstan: Imprisoned Askarov’s son appeals to international community to help bring justice in father’s case
- Kyrgyz power-wielders stage drills in Uzbek-majority neighbourhood in South, fail to notify residents
- Yelena Urlayeva: “I feel humiliated, but I will continue fighting this criminal regime until the end”
- Steve Swerdlow (HRW) on Andijan Massacre
- “Revolution foreboding” and mass detention of foreigners in Kyrgyz south
- Kyrgyzstan: Life-long convict Azimjan Askarov reports poor health, thanks friends
- Ivar Dale: Denial’s bloody anniversary
- Ten Years after Uzbekistan’s Massacre, the Tragedy Continues to Unfold
- Luggage packed, planes boarded—to Riga! A brief story of small and medium business in Uzbekistan
- Crude Accountability: “Karachaganak:Children in Exchange for Oil”
- The Uzbek Cotton: The Government’s Riches, the People’s Curse
- Turkey chooses a special path toward “domestic security”
- Uzbek rights advocate complains to OSCE over presidential election
- Elections 2015: Fear and indifference in Tashkent
- Pulat Ahunov: Headsprings of Uzbek autocracy
- Pre-electoral faceoff with death: The end of the Karimov era in Uzbekistan
- Murder in Istanbul: Political terror effective in CIS
- Islam Karimov—President for life?
- Rashod Kamalov: A respected imam or “chief Islamist” in Kyrgyzstan?
- Kazakhstan: Domestic homicide provokes another pogrom against ethnic group
- The West and the modern “Islamisms”: Who is behind the conflict designing?
- US military vehicles: Expensive gift for Uzbek President or non-disposable “garbage”?
- Uzbekistan: More gas for export, less for domestic consumption
- Washington practices “strategic patience” toward Uzbekistan despite rampant rights violations
- Uzbeks returning from Norway tortured, bashed on TV and convicted for extremism