Central Asia news
07.11.2017 18:38 msk
"We are shocked. It’s a real nightmare. We cannot understand why he did it."
Ferghana News journalists and their Moscow colleagues visited the area near the Tashkent house of the parents of Sayfullo Saipov, the terror suspect in the Halloween attack in the United States. Saipov’s school headmaster, market sellers, director, and a policeman were all unwilling to talk about their former neighbour, and to discuss his terrible act. "A good boy, polite, brought my children to a music school. No beard, no religious conversations." "His leg was pulled in America, such people do not hurt other people, they do not kill people. Very sorry for him," they said.
02.11.2017 21:27 msk
On 31 October, a terrorist attack ruined Halloween in New York. A 29-year-old man at the wheel of a rented truck drove at high speed onto a bike path running along the Hudson River, driving several blocks while crushing random passers-by and bicyclists. Then the pickup truck crashed into a school bus transporting children with disabilities, injuring several bus passengers. The culprit, with cries of "Allahu Akbar!", jumped from the truck, holding a paintball gun and a pellet gun in his hands. Arriving at the scene, police opened fire on him, wounding him in the abdomen. The suspect was hospitalised, underwent an operation, and afterwards interrogated. In all, eight were killed and 15 injured as a result of the terrorist attack.
- Cotton Slavery in Uzbekistan: The Last Victims?
- Rotten method: Kyrgyzstan actively discusses the ethnicity of the presidential candidate?
- Russian oligarch powered flight of the second president of Uzbekistan to the West
- Criminals and Officials in Kyrgyzstan: Who is Covering Whom?
- Presidential elections in Kyrgyzstan: intensive developments
- Is Uzbekistan opening? Tashkent will host OSCE Central Asia media conference
- Kansas City Shuffle of Central Asia. Editorial by Ernest Zhanaev
- Uzbekistan: mahalla waiting for President!
- ‘Our authorities never mistake?’ Practice of protection of persons accused of extremism
- Russia, Central Asia, migrants. Where and how extremism threatens?
- Anticorruption campaign in Tajikistan or show?
- Uzbek opposition leader Bakhodir Choriev: Change without political reforms is useless
- Who owns media in Kazakhstan?
- Uzbekistan: Activists pay tribute to Andijan massacre victims in Tashkent
- About imprisoned human rights activists and unsound optimism in Uzbekistan
- Deteriorating situation in northern Afghanistan: told by local and commented by expert
- Uzbekistan: Saiga disappears and authorities have no interests in this tragedy
- Arkadag show in Turkmenistan
- WWII heroes: Tajikistan hindered by ‘Immortal Regiment’ - Dushanbe residents speak
- Suspected in terrorism – emerging portraits from Central Asia
- Wealth that was acquired: what potential presidents of Kyrgyzstan possess and conceal
- Muhiddin Kabiri on Interpol, IRPT ban, General Nazarzoda and exiled opposition’s future
- Latinising the alphabet in Kazakhstan: «Please avoid the trap Uzbekistan fell into»
- Seven moments from the life of Almazbek Atambayev
- Kyrgyz court leaves life imprisonment verdict in Askarov case in force
- Tajik-Afghan borders in photos: What lies on the other side of Panj River?
- High and Dry: Central Asia’s Failure to Avert the Impending Water Crisis
- “Gratuitous utilisation”: How China is actively bringing the Tajik parts of Pamir under its influence
- Turkmenistan: Repressing Gulen supporters to cajole Erdogan?
- Poet to new Uzbek president: Let’s experiment!
- Uzbekistan and Turkey: A handshake over the grave
- NATO Liaison Office in Tashkent to close, but alliance to continue cooperation in region
- Public politics gradually emerging in Uzbekistan. What’s next—freedom of speech?
- Tajikistan’s imitation civil society
- Preschool Education in Kyrgyzstan
- Andrew Finkel, The Guardian: Turkey was already undergoing a slow-motion coup – by Erdoğan, not the army
- Registan.Net: Kazakhstan at odds with homegrown terrorism
- «Hizb ut-Tahrir» and Donald Trump: mutual contempt
- Lost childhood in the «Caliphate»
- Washington and Sanjar Umarov want to shed light on Uzbek Kleptocracy money
- Uzbek expert criticizes World Bank over monitoring of forced labour
- Taalatbek Masadykov: “Radical religious views can quite realistically fracture Afghanistan”
- “He is weeping quietly in the desert…” The first collection of modern Turkmen literature released
- Uzbek currency drops to 5k per dollar on “black market”
- Uzbekistan: Hey, World Bank, attention here!
- “Russia’s southward turn”: Who benefits?
- Uzbekistan: Museum director’s removal unwarranted and sinister!
- Ten Years after Uzbekistan’s Massacre, the Tragedy Continues to Unfold
- Pulat Ahunov: Headsprings of Uzbek autocracy
- Pre-electoral faceoff with death: The end of the Karimov era in Uzbekistan
- Murder in Istanbul: Political terror effective in CIS
- Islam Karimov—President for life?
- Rashod Kamalov: A respected imam or “chief Islamist” in Kyrgyzstan?
- Kazakhstan: Domestic homicide provokes another pogrom against ethnic group
- The West and the modern “Islamisms”: Who is behind the conflict designing?
- US military vehicles: Expensive gift for Uzbek President or non-disposable “garbage”?
- Uzbeks returning from Norway tortured, bashed on TV and convicted for extremism
- Kyrgyzstan in the European Economic Union despite all doubts
- What foreign investor? A brief story of the Dutch, the Chinese and 50m USD
- Is Central Asia afraid of ISIS?
- Carnegie Moscow presents Russo-Turkish cooperation in “turbulent neighborhood” report
- Few hundred Chinese, jihad and deserted square – entire village population
- Uzbek-Tajik ties improving: The role Tajik plays in Uzbekistan
- Recep Erdogan’s “Crimea dilemma”
- TeliaSonera and Uzbekistan: A mismatch?
- Who makes up with rate of the national currency of Uzbekistan?
- Birdamlik at ten: The leader’s personality stronger than ideas
- Uzbekistan: The Karimov regime is still firm
- Gulnara Karimova: “I am not using the word ‘democracy,’ mind you!”
- Ex-Osh Mayor certain in victory at reelection
- Uzbekistan: Thinking out loud about Gulnara Karimova as her father’s “victim”
- Russians Worried about Spread of Cancer-Causing "Sucking Tobacco" from Central Asia
- The world did not hear us
- Nadejda Atayeva: Seven-year imprisonment sentence and property confiscation for human rights activism
- Uzbekistan’s New Centurions
- Floor given to Uzbek opposition: Failure and degradation or unification and progress?
- Doctors in Uzbekistan on cotton fields: “Impossible to refuse”
- What freedom?! Posing the “Uzbek question” to the OSCE representative for mass media
- Islam Karimov: Far from reality
- Kyrgyzstan: Kamchibek Tashiyev freed. Parliament’s dissolution imminent?
- Sergey Abashin: Osh events at crossroads of oblivion
- Fazliddin Kurbanov’s case, or How President Islam Karimov’s opponents are persecuted in the USA
- Islam Karimov and the Goldfish
- Kyrgyzstan: Revolutions no more?
- “The Ministry of Truth” of Uzbekistan: Art of lying through teeth
- Kazakh president prepping power transition
- Islam’s agony: Uzbek President Karimov finds himself and Uzbekistan in historical dead-end
- Sait Nursi and Fethullah Gülen: Religious and educational activities between Turkey and Central Asia 20 years after the end of the USSR
- Uzbekistan 2012: Resume and forecast. Part I
- U.S. Investigates Iranian Activity in South Caucasia and Assesses Regional Geopolitics
- Song for Dad, or Gulnara’s off-pitch
- Maksim Bakiyev tracked not only in Bishkek, but also in the States?
- Uzbekistan: Farewell to CSTO
- China, Uzbekistan Ties Shaped by Shared World View
- Kyrgyzstan: "Tragedy in the South"
- Taliban comeback: Afghanistan anticipating and United States preparing while the CSTO watches
- Experts condemn blocking Fergana’s website as illegal and senseless
- Why does Nazarbaev need a multi-party parliament?
- Who and what’s behind the riots in Kazakhstan?
- Kazakhstan: Covert terrorist organizations are in place and not inclined to remain idle
- Presidential election in Kyrgyzstan to contribute to regionalism and set the grounds for future opposition
- Kyrgyzstan: Who’s Checking Parliament?
- Experts talk the first anniversary of another Kyrgyz revolution
- Kyrgyz bifurcation
- International Crisis Group: The infrastructure of Central Asian countries is steadily disappearing
- Osh report: quick conclusions, lost opportunities
- Uzbek separatism – fiction of politicians or threatening reality in Kyrgyzstan?
- Orkhan Jemal: Moscow is turning into Osh
- USAID program on prevention of HIV and tuberculosis started in Uzbekistan
- Look who is here. Pro-Russian … Nazi won parliamentary elections in Kyrgyzstan
- The glimmer of hope in bloody Kyrgyzstan
- How to become the student in Uzbekistan or "the price" of admission
- Who will succeed Akhmat Bakiev?
- Parliamentary republic, non-parliamentary public
- The ethnicisation of violence in Southern Kyrgyzstan
- Fighting for ourselves, we are fighting against…? On the Role of Ethnicity in the Tragic Events in Southern Kyrgyzstan
- Kyrghyz and Uzbeks in Osh: Just another local interethnic conflict?
- Kyrgyz South and Uzbek issue
- Seven years of jail for AIDS prevention. How Maxim Popov "was absorbed"
- Breaking point: Why the Kyrgyz lost their patience
- Kyrgyzstan: The expropriation of property from richer people is fair in "peoples" understanding
- Logic Behind The Kyrgyz Chaos
- «Bakiev’s case» – the tragedy of one family and one country
- Third day: Bakiev is not needed any more
- Good job for unwedded mothers
- The alleged murderer of Gennadiy Pavlyuk is the officer of Kyrgyz secret service
- From Lenin square to Shakhidon square: 20 years after February massacre in Dushanbe
- Second Advent or what is expected in Turkmenistan under Ruhnama?
- Uzbekistan's rating. Shall President Karimov take pride in "accomplishments"?
- This side of Afghani border. Central Asia braces itself for attacks
- Turkmen thaw ended in scorching summer temperatures
- Eight years of ISAF operations in Afghanistan. Who are the winners?
- The schools in Uzbekistan see sharp deficit of textbooks
- The Turkmenbashi won the election in Kyrgyzstan
- Outstanding schemers. Moscow and Bishkek played out the Manas intrigue to the end
- The Pentagon Goes out of Its Way to Retain the Airbase in Kyrgyzstan
- The Great Wall: The government of Uzbekistan to take total control over Internet
- Kazakhstan: The prohibited book of Rakhat Aliyev does not pose as much hazard
- Central Asian republics remained the same status in a row of Not free states
- Examination of allies: What side of the fence will Moscow take in the water dispute?
- Uzbekistan is rehearsing eventual withdrawal from the CIS Collective Security Treaty Organization
- Relations between Iran and Central Asia (Synopsis)
- Tajikistan-Russia: Demarche as Rakhmon's answer to Medvedev
- Medvedev's visit to Tashkent is extremely opportune
- Yuri Krupnov: Russia should industrialize Afghanistan and Central Asian countries
- The more the demand, the better off the vendor: Golden rule of Oriental bazaars
- An update on Moscow's position with regard to negotiations with Taliban
- Why Uzbekistan suddenly decided to withdraw from the Eurasian Economic Community
- Uzbekistan’s president goes unpunished
- Turkmenistan: Facts and Rumors about Shooting in Ashgabat
- Bush to Shift Troops to Afghanistan From Iraq
- Uzbekistan: Low River Levels Threaten Syrdarya Biodiversity
- Russia Succeeds in Securing Central Asia as Its Political and Energy Stronghold
- Tajikistan Hopes Water will Power its Growth
- Cautious China "Concerned" Over Georgia
- Uzbekistan: Chemical Poisoning Likely in Blast Torn City of Kagan
- Kyrgyz Deputy Blames Department of Civil Aviation for Airplane Crash
- Kyrgyz Authorities to Cut Uzbek Language Programs
- Instability in Central Asia Could be Deadly for Afghanistan
- China-Central Asia Railroad Faces Economic, Political Risks