Central Asia news
18.12.2017 11:08 msk
On 11 December, the man, who introduced himself as the hokim (head of the administration) of the Shaykhantohur district, met with the tenants of three houses on Tashkent street on the site where the authorities plan to construct the pompous "Tashkent City" business complex. The official, in the company of other municipal staff, has announced that the residents are categorically obliged to vacate the housing in a ten-day period since the buildings around are already being demolished. On the questions of people, what should they do now and where to go, the answer, in its essence was: "We are not interested, go wherever you want." These words sounded if the tenants do not leave within ten days, they would be forcibly evicted by a court decision involving law enforcement. Given the sad experience of past years, there is no doubt about this perspective.
06.12.2017 01:19 msk
Two wild cases, but unfortunately characteristic for Turkmenistan, occurred in a short period in different parts of the republic. Women, one of whom is 76 years old, and the other is slightly less than 68 years old, were viciously attacked. On the night of 28 to 29 October in Dashoguz, somebody threw stones in the windows of Khalida Izbastinova's flat shattering them. Two weeks later, on 14 November, in Ashgabat, Soltan Achilova was attacked in broad daylight. The "fault" of the first woman is that she is the mother of a Turkmen opposition and human rights activist, and the second is the correspondent of the "Azatlyk" Radio ("Freedom") banned in Turkmenistan.
25.10.2017 23:02 msk
A museum dedicated to life and murder of a young and prominent journalist Alisher Saipov opens its doors in the southern capital of Kyrgyzstan, Osh city, where ten years ago, on 24 October, two bullets, the assassin shot at the journalist, stopped his independent voice. It is a separate room in the house where the family of Alisher collected his personal belongings. On the hanger hangs a suit in which the journalist was on the day of the murder. Here you can see the books that Alisher liked to read, his photographic equipment, university degrees, certificates, copies of the newspaper he published...
- Human rights defender about forced deportation of Uzbeks
- Four years for journalist who opposes Islam in Kyrgyzstan
- Muhammad Salih: «I will return to Uzbekistan only as a completely free man!»
- Kazakhstan trials the Orthodox priest
- Is Uzbekistan opening? Tashkent will host OSCE Central Asia media conference
- Apotheosis of Kyrgyz justice
- Dictator’s relatives. Nephew of late Islam Karimov granted refugee status in Ukraine escaping extradition to Uzbekistan
- Human Rights Defenders: World Bank should press Uzbekistan for abandoning cotton slavery
- Bluff or ‘ram fighting’ from Arkadag? Anti-corruption fight gaining momentum in Turkmenistan
- Education in Uzbek language has no prospects in Kyrgyzstan
- Uzbekistan: Unprecedented public outcry at murder of 18-years-old student
- ‘Our authorities never mistake?’ Practice of protection of persons accused of extremism
- Kyrgyzstan major TV channel: Block Fergana and journalist Ulugbek Babakulov is enemy of people
- Who owns media in Kazakhstan?
- Uzbekistan: Activists pay tribute to Andijan massacre victims in Tashkent
- Uzbekistan: How visit by UN High Commissioner benefits?
- About imprisoned human rights activists and unsound optimism in Uzbekistan
- Deteriorating situation in northern Afghanistan: told by local and commented by expert
- Human Rights in Uzbekistan: Commissioner, remember 2005 Andijan Massacre!
- Suspected in terrorism – emerging portraits from Central Asia
- Muhiddin Kabiri on Interpol, IRPT ban, General Nazarzoda and exiled opposition’s future
- Uzbekistan: Neighbours of «terrorist of Stockholm» say suspect far from extremism
- Seven moments from the life of Almazbek Atambayev
- Don't be interested, don't assemble, don’t disseminate. Ten excuses for penalty in Kazakhstan
- Uzbekistan: Free Urlayeva from punitive psychiatry!
- Between a rock and a hard place in Tajikistan: husbands demand wives wear head covers, gov’t demands removing
- Uzbekistan: Whistleblower Businessman Ends Up Behind Bars
- Uzbekistan: Mahalla—why does the president and society need it?
- Human trafficking and IS followers in Central Asia
- Verdict in Kyrgyzstan: Highest level of hypocrisy
- Kyrgyz court leaves life imprisonment verdict in Askarov case in force
- Turkmenistan: Repressing Gulen supporters to cajole Erdogan?
- Poet to new Uzbek president: Let’s experiment!
- Apricot pits or Why was Yekaterina Sajneva deported from Uzbekistan
- Radio Liberty: “We hope Tajik authorities understand their mistake and reinstate our journalists’ accreditation”
- Uzbekistan: Stop punitive psychiatry on Jamshid Karimov!
- Living in someone else’s life. The story of a transgender woman from Tajikistan (18+)
- Any attack on representative of authority is equated to terrorist act in Kazakhstan. But why?
- Impunity endangers our right to know
- Uzbekistan: Everyone, yes, everyone is picking cotton. But two women taking photos
- Punitive psychiatry gaining momentum in Kazakhstan
- Tajikistan’s imitation civil society
- Uzbekistan: testing your cheating speed, or “Hares”, “Runners” and ten thousand dollars
- «Hizb ut-Tahrir» and Donald Trump: mutual contempt
- Kazakhstan: Land Protesters Face Police Rampage
- UN Human Rights Committee urges Kyrgyzstan to release Azimjan Askarov, quash guilty verdict
- Uzbek expert criticizes World Bank over monitoring of forced labour
- Kyrgyz education ministry wants to close a special kindergarten for special children
- Uzbek rights advocate in need of rights advocate
- Political prisoner released in Uzbekistan after 21 years, Sec Kerry visit
- Uzbek rights advocates able to meet political prisoner
- Reflections on Islam Karimov’s image
- Fire destroys Uzbek rights advocate’s house, computers; items missing (+photo, video)
- Uzbekistan: Cotton slaves picked sells well, as usual…
- Kyrgyz court hands five-year sentence to imam prominent in south
- Uzbekistan: Hey, World Bank, attention here!
- Uzbekistan: “We are slaves, indeed!” A photojournalist’s cotton-picking stint (+photos, video)
- The Uzbek-German Forum: “Silk Noose on Uzbek Farmers’ Neck”
- Uzbekistan: Museum director’s removal unwarranted and sinister!
- USA: Federal Jury Convicts Kurbanov on Terrorism Charges
- Uzbek officials: “Our prisons are most progressive, mass media are most democratic; no torture, because it is prohibited!”
- Muhiddin Kabiri: Closing IRPT will not bring about better life in Tajikistan
- Uzbek border guards kill Kazakh, wound Tajik nationals, fire at Kyrgyz colleagues
- Former political prisoner delivers report on human rights in Uzbekistan before US Congress
- Kyrgyzstan: Imprisoned Askarov’s son appeals to international community to help bring justice in father’s case
- Kyrgyz power-wielders stage drills in Uzbek-majority neighbourhood in South, fail to notify residents
- Yelena Urlayeva: “I feel humiliated, but I will continue fighting this criminal regime until the end”
- Steve Swerdlow (HRW) on Andijan Massacre
- “Revolution foreboding” and mass detention of foreigners in Kyrgyz south
- Kyrgyzstan: Life-long convict Azimjan Askarov reports poor health, thanks friends
- Ivar Dale: Denial’s bloody anniversary
- Ten Years after Uzbekistan’s Massacre, the Tragedy Continues to Unfold
- Luggage packed, planes boarded—to Riga! A brief story of small and medium business in Uzbekistan
- Crude Accountability: “Karachaganak:Children in Exchange for Oil”
- The Uzbek Cotton: The Government’s Riches, the People’s Curse
- Turkey chooses a special path toward “domestic security”
- Uzbek rights advocate complains to OSCE over presidential election
- Elections 2015: Fear and indifference in Tashkent
- Pulat Ahunov: Headsprings of Uzbek autocracy
- Murder in Istanbul: Political terror effective in CIS
- Rashod Kamalov: A respected imam or “chief Islamist” in Kyrgyzstan?
- Kazakhstan: Domestic homicide provokes another pogrom against ethnic group
- Uzbekistan: More gas for export, less for domestic consumption
- Washington practices “strategic patience” toward Uzbekistan despite rampant rights violations
- Uzbeks returning from Norway tortured, bashed on TV and convicted for extremism
- Ex-Irish Deputy Premier: «Azimjan Askarov must be free»
- Believe not, fear not and ask not: Russia “disowns” Turkmen opposition figure
- Only Janaozen female convict released
- Rabeya Kadeer: “The USSR’s fate awaits China”
- DRD Partnership: Gulnara Karimova under house arrest, while “global support grows”
- Uzbek-Tajik ties improving: The role Tajik plays in Uzbekistan
- “Until the very end”: Human Rights Watch issues report on political prisoners in Uzbekistan
- That awkward moment! Gulnara Karimova has a new PR team
- Uzbekistan: Festivities for the chosen few, the nation only seen in the crowd scene!
- Uzbekistan: The Karimov regime is still firm
- Uzbekistan: Anti-Gay Law Strikes Terror Into Gay People, but Enriches the Police (18+)
- Steve Swerdlow: Czech President must cancel Islam Karimov’s visit to Prague
- AN OPEN LETTER TO JOURNALISTS AND PHOTOGRAPHERS OF RUSSIA AND UKRAINE, TO ALL THEIR COLLEAGUES WORLDWIDE
- Uzbekistan: Non Format club photos censored (photo, video)
- IT break, or Why Migrants Need Internet
- A former inmate in Uzbekistan: Everything in penitentiaries is aimed at destroying humans
- Uzbekistan: Erk Party… Is there such a party?
- Uzbekistan targets NGOs’ finances
- Uzbek Journalist Muhammad Bekjan Awarded Press Freedom International Award after 15 Years of Imprisonment…
- Uzbekistan: Esprit De Corps More Important Than Death in Custody During Questioning?
- International Campaign to Protect Those Disappeared In Turkmen Prisons
- Slain journalist Alisher’s daughter Zulaykho: “My father was a journalist!”
- Breasts, fish, cotton - why did Uzbeks jail reporter Sergei Naumov?
- Missing Uzbek journalist sentenced to serve brief term for “hooliganism”
- Uzbek journalist Sergey Naumov detained by police, whereabouts unknown
- More children die on cotton fields in Uzbekistan
- The world did not hear us
- Birdamlik Opposition Movement allocates $16K to initiate “velvet revolution” in Uzbekistan
- Nadejda Atayeva: Seven-year imprisonment sentence and property confiscation for human rights activism
- Bakhodir Choriyev: My father’s case is testimony to legal nihilism and injustice in Uzbekistan
- Merciless Uzbekistan: New law on registration throws orphans out to street
- New place, old problems: No water or electricity. Glimpsing at life of resettles in Osh (images)
- Uzbekistan: Want to marry? See a doctor!
- Lawyer Nurbek Toktakunov: Kyrgyz ombudsman’s power is in lack of authority
- What freedom?! Posing the “Uzbek question” to the OSCE representative for mass media
- Catherine Fitzpatrick: Uzbek nation entitled to all rights as others, but not right to extremism
- Fazliddin Kurbanov’s case, or How President Islam Karimov’s opponents are persecuted in the USA
- Silent approval: Judges “sustain” beating advocates in Kyrgyz courts
- “The State, it is I” or An unsuccessful bid to meet Gulnara Karimova
- Kyrgyzstan: Rights activists continue insisting authorities objectively reconsider Azimjan Askarov case
- Uzbek citizen Yusup Kasymahunov kidnapped in Russia
- Andrew Stroehlein: Letter to Gulnara Karimova
- Human Rights Watch: Free Uzbek Political Prisoners on Constitution Day
- Hero of the day: Kyrgyz SDPK MP suggested death sentence by electric chair to prisoners serving life
- Association for Human Rights in Central Asia: There are more than 2,000 political prisoners in Uzbekistan
- Letter to Azimjan Askarov, or New York will wait for the laureate
- Azimjan Askarov Takes His Torture and Unfair Trial in Kyrgyzstan to Human Rights Committee
- Human Rights Watch: Skewed Justice Over 2010 Conflict in Kyrgyzstan
- Knut Vollebaek: The underlying reasons for the June events have still not been eradicated
- Obidhon Nazarov, imam shot in Sweden, is recovering and Uzbeks leave Stromsund
- Tajikistan: dubious efforts against torture
- Kyrgyzstan: journalists picket “Let’s show parliament our teeth”
- Tajik journalists attempt to defend their rights again and again
- Uzbekistan: renaissance of street crime in previously safe Tashkent
- Azimjon Askarov, jailed for life in Kyrgyzstan, gets International Press Freedom Award
- Dumb slaves, or Cotton under the barrel of a gun
- Uzbekistan: letter from the penal colony «Jaslyk» on new cases of torture
- IWPR: Daring to Strike in Turkmenistan
- Subsidies Subside in Turkmenistan
- A tragedy foretold: Norway condemns Uzbek activist to jail and torture
- IWPR: Show Trials in Turkmenistan
- Kyrgyzstan: Azimzhan Askarov’s lawyers insist on review of his case
- Uzbek authorities fear spread of Arab Spring and tighten control of internet use by youth
- Trial for Russian pensioner arrested for a pack of pills has been canceled
- Uzbekistan: Old Russian woman to go to jail for a pack of pills
- Uzbekistan: New members of the “persecuted journalists” club
- Uzbekistan: 50th birthday in prison
- Uzbekistan: Rustam Usmanov’s son applies to the president of Uzbekistan for a pardon
- Rustam Usmanov’s simple math: Fourteen plus two
- France: Human right activists extend their congratulations to Islam Karimov, too
- Reporters Without Borders: Tajik opposition journalist Dodojon Atovulloev stabbed in Moscow
- Kyrgyzstan: Who’s gonna rescue the victims of “ethnic tortures”?
- Kyrgyzstan: Sexual violence amidst ethnic conflict
- Q & A: Khudaiberdiyev on Kyrgyz trial, press freedom
- Q & A: Dzhavlon Mirzakhodzhayev on Kyrgyz 'justice'