Central Asia news
07.11.2017 18:38 msk
"We are shocked. It’s a real nightmare. We cannot understand why he did it."
Ferghana News journalists and their Moscow colleagues visited the area near the Tashkent house of the parents of Sayfullo Saipov, the terror suspect in the Halloween attack in the United States. Saipov’s school headmaster, market sellers, director, and a policeman were all unwilling to talk about their former neighbour, and to discuss his terrible act. "A good boy, polite, brought my children to a music school. No beard, no religious conversations." "His leg was pulled in America, such people do not hurt other people, they do not kill people. Very sorry for him," they said.
02.11.2017 21:27 msk
On 31 October, a terrorist attack ruined Halloween in New York. A 29-year-old man at the wheel of a rented truck drove at high speed onto a bike path running along the Hudson River, driving several blocks while crushing random passers-by and bicyclists. Then the pickup truck crashed into a school bus transporting children with disabilities, injuring several bus passengers. The culprit, with cries of "Allahu Akbar!", jumped from the truck, holding a paintball gun and a pellet gun in his hands. Arriving at the scene, police opened fire on him, wounding him in the abdomen. The suspect was hospitalised, underwent an operation, and afterwards interrogated. In all, eight were killed and 15 injured as a result of the terrorist attack.
25.10.2017 23:02 msk
A museum dedicated to life and murder of a young and prominent journalist Alisher Saipov opens its doors in the southern capital of Kyrgyzstan, Osh city, where ten years ago, on 24 October, two bullets, the assassin shot at the journalist, stopped his independent voice. It is a separate room in the house where the family of Alisher collected his personal belongings. On the hanger hangs a suit in which the journalist was on the day of the murder. Here you can see the books that Alisher liked to read, his photographic equipment, university degrees, certificates, copies of the newspaper he published...
- Half of Everything or Facta, Non Verba
- Uzbekistan: New conference with old zindan at background
- The administrative resource is not enough. The Central Election Commission of Kyrgyzstan told about «the most democratic elections»
- Another political prisoner in Uzbekistan released
- Opium for the President: Religion and Kyrgyzstan’s forthcoming elections
- «To people like you I can say that I’m Uzbek»
- Secret arrest again. Still no respect for human rights in Uzbekistan
- Cotton Slavery in Uzbekistan: The Last Victims?
- Russian oligarch powered flight of the second president of Uzbekistan to the West
- Human rights defender about forced deportation of Uzbeks
- Uzbekistan Football Federation Ltd
- Criminals and Officials in Kyrgyzstan: Who is Covering Whom?
- Four years for journalist who opposes Islam in Kyrgyzstan
- Muhammad Salih: «I will return to Uzbekistan only as a completely free man!»
- Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan preferred to resolve border issue secretly
- Islam Karimov: A great ruler or enemy of the people?
- Presidential elections in Kyrgyzstan: intensive developments
- Is Uzbekistan opening? Tashkent will host OSCE Central Asia media conference
- Apotheosis of Kyrgyz justice
- Dictator’s relatives. Nephew of late Islam Karimov granted refugee status in Ukraine escaping extradition to Uzbekistan
- Uzbekistan: mahalla waiting for President!
- Bluff or ‘ram fighting’ from Arkadag? Anti-corruption fight gaining momentum in Turkmenistan
- Education in Uzbek language has no prospects in Kyrgyzstan
- Uzbekistan: Unprecedented public outcry at murder of 18-years-old student
- What Changes May Come? Editorial by Ernest Zhanaev
- ‘Our authorities never mistake?’ Practice of protection of persons accused of extremism
- Kyrgyzstan major TV channel: Block Fergana and journalist Ulugbek Babakulov is enemy of people
- Russia, Central Asia, migrants. Where and how extremism threatens?
- Anticorruption campaign in Tajikistan or show?
- Uzbek opposition leader Bakhodir Choriev: Change without political reforms is useless
- Who owns media in Kazakhstan?
- Uzbekistan: Activists pay tribute to Andijan massacre victims in Tashkent
- Tajikistan: Time to privatise hills and meadows?
- Uzbekistan: How visit by UN High Commissioner benefits?
- About imprisoned human rights activists and unsound optimism in Uzbekistan
- Deteriorating situation in northern Afghanistan: told by local and commented by expert
- Human Rights in Uzbekistan: Commissioner, remember 2005 Andijan Massacre!
- Kazakhstan: Experts about initiatives of Mukhtar Ablyazov
- Suspected in terrorism – emerging portraits from Central Asia
- Sisyphus, Aesop and Oedipus ... Which Islam Karimov will stand in Tashkent centre?
- Wealth that was acquired: what potential presidents of Kyrgyzstan possess and conceal
- Muhiddin Kabiri on Interpol, IRPT ban, General Nazarzoda and exiled opposition’s future
- Uzbekistan: Neighbours of «terrorist of Stockholm» say suspect far from extremism
- Latinising the alphabet in Kazakhstan: «Please avoid the trap Uzbekistan fell into»
- Seven moments from the life of Almazbek Atambayev
- Don't be interested, don't assemble, don’t disseminate. Ten excuses for penalty in Kazakhstan
- Uzbekistan: Free Urlayeva from punitive psychiatry!
- Uzbekistan: Mahalla—why does the president and society need it?
- Human trafficking and IS followers in Central Asia
- Verdict in Kyrgyzstan: Highest level of hypocrisy
- Kyrgyz court leaves life imprisonment verdict in Askarov case in force
- Tajik-Afghan borders in photos: What lies on the other side of Panj River?
- High and Dry: Central Asia’s Failure to Avert the Impending Water Crisis
- Uzbek, Chinese archaeologists jointly excavate ancient capital of Fergana
- “Gratuitous utilisation”: How China is actively bringing the Tajik parts of Pamir under its influence
- Turkmenistan: Repressing Gulen supporters to cajole Erdogan?
- Poet to new Uzbek president: Let’s experiment!
- Apricot pits or Why was Yekaterina Sajneva deported from Uzbekistan
- Uzbekistan and Turkey: A handshake over the grave
- NATO Liaison Office in Tashkent to close, but alliance to continue cooperation in region
- Any attack on representative of authority is equated to terrorist act in Kazakhstan. But why?
- Public politics gradually emerging in Uzbekistan. What’s next—freedom of speech?
- Impunity endangers our right to know
- Uzbekistan: Everyone, yes, everyone is picking cotton. But two women taking photos
- Punitive psychiatry gaining momentum in Kazakhstan
- Tajikistan’s imitation civil society
- Central Asian Survey: Uzbekistan Forum and Virtual Special Issue
- Who was Uzbekistan's Islam Karimov?
- Preschool Education in Kyrgyzstan
- Andrew Finkel, The Guardian: Turkey was already undergoing a slow-motion coup – by Erdoğan, not the army
- Registan.Net: Kazakhstan at odds with homegrown terrorism
- «Hizb ut-Tahrir» and Donald Trump: mutual contempt
- Kazakhstan: Land Protesters Face Police Rampage
- Lost childhood in the «Caliphate»
- Washington and Sanjar Umarov want to shed light on Uzbek Kleptocracy money
- UN Human Rights Committee urges Kyrgyzstan to release Azimjan Askarov, quash guilty verdict
- Uzbek expert criticizes World Bank over monitoring of forced labour
- Uzbek rights advocate in need of rights advocate
- Taalatbek Masadykov: “Radical religious views can quite realistically fracture Afghanistan”
- Political prisoner released in Uzbekistan after 21 years, Sec Kerry visit
- Reflections on Islam Karimov’s image
- Fire destroys Uzbek rights advocate’s house, computers; items missing (+photo, video)
- Vote or die: Who benefits from blasts in Turkey
- Uzbek currency drops to 5k per dollar on “black market”
- Uzbekistan: Hey, World Bank, attention here!
- Uzbekistan: “We are slaves, indeed!” A photojournalist’s cotton-picking stint (+photos, video)
- “Russia’s southward turn”: Who benefits?
- Who benefits from the armed mutiny in Tajikistan? Analyses, opinions, comments
- Russian expert on Arab affairs: Authoritarian regimes are main recruiters for IS
- USA: Federal Jury Convicts Kurbanov on Terrorism Charges
- Uzbek officials: “Our prisons are most progressive, mass media are most democratic; no torture, because it is prohibited!”
- Uzbek State Museum removes «Soviet Era» department
- Muhiddin Kabiri: Closing IRPT will not bring about better life in Tajikistan
- Uzbek border guards kill Kazakh, wound Tajik nationals, fire at Kyrgyz colleagues
- Former political prisoner delivers report on human rights in Uzbekistan before US Congress
- Kyrgyzstan: Imprisoned Askarov’s son appeals to international community to help bring justice in father’s case
- Kyrgyz power-wielders stage drills in Uzbek-majority neighbourhood in South, fail to notify residents
- Steve Swerdlow (HRW) on Andijan Massacre
- Ivar Dale: Denial’s bloody anniversary
- Ten Years after Uzbekistan’s Massacre, the Tragedy Continues to Unfold
- The Uzbek Cotton: The Government’s Riches, the People’s Curse
- Turkey chooses a special path toward “domestic security”
- Uzbek rights advocate complains to OSCE over presidential election
- Elections 2015: Fear and indifference in Tashkent
- Pulat Ahunov: Headsprings of Uzbek autocracy
- Pre-electoral faceoff with death: The end of the Karimov era in Uzbekistan
- Murder in Istanbul: Political terror effective in CIS
- Islam Karimov—President for life?
- The West and the modern “Islamisms”: Who is behind the conflict designing?
- US military vehicles: Expensive gift for Uzbek President or non-disposable “garbage”?
- Washington practices “strategic patience” toward Uzbekistan despite rampant rights violations
- Kyrgyzstan in the European Economic Union despite all doubts
- Ex-Irish Deputy Premier: «Azimjan Askarov must be free»
- Believe not, fear not and ask not: Russia “disowns” Turkmen opposition figure
- Is Central Asia afraid of ISIS?
- Rabeya Kadeer: “The USSR’s fate awaits China”
- Carnegie Moscow presents Russo-Turkish cooperation in “turbulent neighborhood” report
- DRD Partnership: Gulnara Karimova under house arrest, while “global support grows”
- Few hundred Chinese, jihad and deserted square – entire village population
- Uzbek-Tajik ties improving: The role Tajik plays in Uzbekistan
- Uzbek President will visit Prague after all. If case he wins next elections. Anyone doubtful he will fail?
- Parliamentary elections in Uzbekistan: Another show for foreigners
- “Until the very end”: Human Rights Watch issues report on political prisoners in Uzbekistan
- That awkward moment! Gulnara Karimova has a new PR team
- Recep Erdogan’s “Crimea dilemma”
- TeliaSonera and Uzbekistan: A mismatch?
- Uzbekistan: Festivities for the chosen few, the nation only seen in the crowd scene!
- Birdamlik at ten: The leader’s personality stronger than ideas
- Uzbekistan: The Karimov regime is still firm
- Steve Swerdlow: Czech President must cancel Islam Karimov’s visit to Prague
- Gulnara Karimova: “I am not using the word ‘democracy,’ mind you!”
- Ex-Osh Mayor certain in victory at reelection
- Uzbekistan: Erk Party… Is there such a party?
- Uzbekistan targets NGOs’ finances
- Uzbek Journalist Muhammad Bekjan Awarded Press Freedom International Award after 15 Years of Imprisonment…
- Uzbekistan: Veteran US NGO Worker Paralyzed by Stroke Risks Ending Up on Streets of Tashkent
- Lack of voters secures Tajik president’s victory
- Uzbekistan: Thinking out loud about Gulnara Karimova as her father’s “victim”
- International Campaign to Protect Those Disappeared In Turkmen Prisons
- Uzbekistan: The Birdamlik Movement will evolve into a political party
- Breasts, fish, cotton - why did Uzbeks jail reporter Sergei Naumov?
- The world did not hear us
- Vox populi: Society does not believe the country has future
- Birdamlik Opposition Movement allocates $16K to initiate “velvet revolution” in Uzbekistan
- Nadejda Atayeva: Seven-year imprisonment sentence and property confiscation for human rights activism
- Bakhodir Choriyev: My father’s case is testimony to legal nihilism and injustice in Uzbekistan
- New place, old problems: No water or electricity. Glimpsing at life of resettles in Osh (images)
- Uzbekistan’s New Centurions
- Floor given to Uzbek opposition: Failure and degradation or unification and progress?
- Uzbek president’s younger daughter buys $58m palace in California
- Lawyer Nurbek Toktakunov: Kyrgyz ombudsman’s power is in lack of authority
- What freedom?! Posing the “Uzbek question” to the OSCE representative for mass media
- Islam Karimov: Far from reality
- Kyrgyzstan: Kamchibek Tashiyev freed. Parliament’s dissolution imminent?
- Sergey Abashin: Osh events at crossroads of oblivion
- “Negotiations” lead to scuffle and power usurpation in Kyrgyzstan
- Catherine Fitzpatrick: Uzbek nation entitled to all rights as others, but not right to extremism
- Fazliddin Kurbanov’s case, or How President Islam Karimov’s opponents are persecuted in the USA
- German airbase in Uzbekistan: Illegal market for German goods
- Silent approval: Judges “sustain” beating advocates in Kyrgyz courts